Kindergarten Registration and Open House: April 23, 2013
Kindergarten Registration Day and Open House takes place Tuesday, April 23, 2013 at 9:00 a.m. at all elementary schools in Virginia Beach City Public Schools, except Newtown, Bettie F. Williams and Old Donation Center. Children who will enter kindergarten in the fall have a chance to see a real kindergarten class in action, practice riding a school bus, meet their future teachers, and much more!
What do I need to register my child for kindergarten?
To register your child for school, you’ll need:
- Proof of residence/address (lease agreement and current gas, electric, or water bills)
- Certified birth certificate
- Physical examination report
- Current immunization records
- Social Security number
- Two emergency contact phone numbers that are current
- Comprehensive physical examination record if transferring from another school division or state
Please note that it is not necessary to have all of these documents to begin the registration process. Visit or call your child's school to begin a kindergarten registration packet.
What immunizations are required?
In order to register your child for school, you must show proof of the following:
- DPT: Minimum of 4 doses, at least one dose administered on or after the child's 4th birthday
- Polio: Minimum of 4 doses, at least one dose administered on or after the child's 4th birthday
- MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella):
- Measles: Two doses of the Measles (Rubeola) vaccine are required for all students enrolled in
kindergarten through grade 12. The first dose must have been at age 12 months or older; the
second dose no sooner than one month after the first dose.
- Mumps: Two doses of the Mumps vaccine are required before entering kindergarten. These are
usually administered in combination with the Measles (Rubeola) as the MMR vaccine.
- Rubella: A minimum of one dose of each administered at 12 months or older. This is usually
given in combination with the Measles (Rubeola) as the MMR vaccine.
- Hepatitis B: A series of three vaccines is required for all students born on or after January 1, 1994. The third dose must not have been given before 24 weeks of age.
- Varicella (chickenpox): A minimum of two doses is required before entering kindergarten (effective March 3, 2010) unless a history of chickenpox disease or lab tests are provided by a licensed qualified physician or licensed nurse practitioner. The first chickenpox dose must have been administered after 12 months of age.
- Tdap (Booster): Rising 6th graders and new enrolling 7th – 11th graders are required to have a booster dose of the Tdap vaccine (tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis). If a tetanus containing vaccine has been administered in the five years prior to sixth grade entry, this booster vaccine is not required. Tetanus containing vaccines can be documented as DPT, Td, Dtap, or Tdap.
The Virginia Beach Department of Public Health offers free routine immunizations for kindergarten students. Please call 75.7.518.2700.
How can I help to prepare my child for kindergarten?
You are your child's first and most important teacher. You can help your child be ready to learn before kindergarten. See our Kindergarten Registration page for a readiness checklist, recommended books for kindergarten, information on out-of-zone attendance, and more. Learn more.